Stone Head Conservancy (SHC) is a 501(c) 3 nonprofit public charity organization that is responsible for the maintenance and enhancement of the Stone Head Nature Preserve (SHNP). View our complete mission statement on the Stone Head Conservancy page on this website. In order to achieve our mission, the SHC Board of Directors has created certain rules and regulations to which all visitors to the Preserve are required to adhere. There will be an all-inclusive listing available on this website in the near future. For now, the most prominent rules and regulations include, but are not limited to:
- No motorized vehicles are allowed, except those associated with maintenance of the Preserve.
- No wheeled conveyances, including bicycles and mountain bikes, are allowed. Three exceptions to this rule are (a) infant strollers, (b) any conveyance in compliance with the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) , and conveyances used in the maintenance of the property.
- All pets must remain under physical (not including vocal or hand signals) control at all times. A leash of no more than 6 feet is required. Pet owners are required to clean up after their pets.
- Hunting, trapping, fishing, or other consumptive uses of the resources on the Preserve are prohibited without the express consent of the SHC Board.
- All birding (birdwatching) activities must comply with the American Birding Association Code of Birding Ethics and the Stone Head Nature Preserve Code of Birding Ethics (in press).
- No removal or destruction of any cultural (artwork) or natural resource (plant, animal, or mineral) is allowed, except within the confines of goals set forth in the SHNP Resource Management Plan.
- No horses or any other livestock are allowed.
- No littering or dumping of any type of refuse is allowed. There are no trash receptacles on the Preserve–Carry in, carry out.
- No unauthorized camping is allowed.
- Excessive use of alcohol or prescription drugs, use or possession of any illegal drug or other substance, underage use of alcohol or any regulated substance is prohibited.
- No commercial use of the property is allowed without the proper membership in the Conservancy and current permit issued by the Conservancy.
Violation of any rule or regulation on the Preserve will result in the non-refundable loss of membership in the Conservancy and banishment from the Preserve for a length of time, up to and including lifetime, to be determined by the Conservancy Board of Directors. Further violations will result in prosecution in the appropriate criminal justice system.
If you have any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to Contact Us!